August 7, 2017
The Text: Read John 15:1-8
Jesus begins a beautiful allegory describing himself as the vine. He teaches the importance of connection to the vine for the purpose of bearing kingdom fruit. Jesus lets us know that God the Father will cut off branches that do not bear fruit and prune the branches that bear good fruit so as to produce more fruit.
Why do you think God prunes the fruit bearing branches?
What does it mean when Jesus says the gardner will cut off dead branches?
Why does Jesus over emphasis the need for connection to the vine?
READ the following verses and summarize the four types of kingdom fruit.
The fruit of the Spirit -
• Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Righteous living -
• Ephesians 5:8-11 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the
Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Making Disciples -
• Matthew 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Praising God -
• Hebrews 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a
sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.
1. Do you currently see the Fruit of the Spirit in your life? Explain.
2. Do you currently see the Fruit of Righteous Living in your life? Explain.
3. Do you currently see the Fruit of Making Disciples in your life? Explain.
4. Do you currently see the Fruit of Praise in your life? Explain.
God may we bear fruit for your glory.